Writing a Book
Writing a book can be a challenge. The writing process itself is difficult but the journey to having it published is even more so. It involves a lot more effort than just finishing the written material; you also have to pitch it to a publication when it’s done and afterward, market it to the public. Before writing a book, you have to create a plan to determine the direction you’re going. You have to anticipate the obstacles in order to overcome them. It’s possible that you could have a hard time finding a publication to produce your book or you might not be able to make many sales. This is why you should think ahead before embarking on this journey.
Here are the five things you should think about first:
- You have to commit to writing – Writing a book is not an easy task, a lot of times, most writers quit before finishing a story. Make sure you can set achievable standards. Give yourself a timeline to motivate your mind to keep on writing. It’s a commitment to complete a story, so be sure you’re ready to take it on. The writing process can take as early as months or take as long as years, so you have to both be consistent and patient.
- You’ll have to find your publisher ahead– As previously mentioned, you might encounter problems finding a publisher. Before you get set on writing, scout nearby publishers and send queries. It takes a long while before your book can be accommodated so you’ll want to start the process early. This is why it’s crucial that you must give yourself a timeline if you’re really determined to get your book out there. You also have to make decisions ahead of time like what type of publishing you want and what your preferences are.
- You need to create a marketing plan. If you’re not a well-known author then it’s necessary to have a marketing campaign. The publishers will require you to send your marketing plan along with your query/submission. If you don’t know how to create a marketing plan, you can also avail professional help from self-publishing companies like They can provide assistance and even help you with the marketing itself.
- You need to be willing to shell out an amount. Having your book published and marketed does not come cheap so you have to be ready with your money. It’s better if you form an estimated budget ahead of time.
However, you don’t necessarily have to break your banks into doing it. Oftentimes, you can endorse your book yourself in social media and other online platforms. It’s all about making connections and pulling strings. It’s also a good idea to look into the most affordable publishing prices. There are actually self-publishing companies that offer the service at a very affordable rate. Just do your research.
- It gets easier once you’ve established a fan base. Once you’ve successfully published your book, you’ll gain followers who will support you in your future project. They’ll most likely await your next books and you’d already have sure buyers. It’s all about expanding the right amount of effort and hard work. Don’t give up until you get your story shared. Just keep on writing!