Self-publishing is quite different to other forms of publishing. This is because Self-publishing compared to more traditional forms of publishing is much more versatile in nature. With traditional publishing, writers usually give a majority of control over their books to the publishing house. But with Self-publishing, you are given overall control over your book. This means that you can decide how to have your book published and marketed. But this also gives you added responsibilities. This is because Self-publishing is a lot more work intensive compared to its more traditional counterparts. Which is why it is very important for self-published authors to set goals for themselves. These goals will give self-published authors a guide on how they could achieve their true writing potential.
Why should you set goals?
Setting your goals is very advantageous. One reason is that it will clarify what you want to achieve as a writer. Some people go through their whole lives writing but fail to go anywhere. This is because they lack focus and spend their strength on fruitless endeavors that gain them nothing. Which is why as early as possible you should have a goal. Secondly, it allows you to do something that really matters and grants you the focus and patience that you need to see it through. Lastly having a set goal will make achieving it more worthwhile.
Tips on how to identify your goals
- Be critical of your past work. One way of identifying your writing goals is to be critical of your work. That way you could make self-improvement one of your goals.
- Honesty with oneself is also a very important aspect of writing. By being totally honest with what you really
want to achieve as a writer, you can set out without fear of criticism or failure.
- Ask other writers what they want to achieve as a writer. Do they want fame? Fortune? By knowing what drives other writers you can compare and find your own reason for writing.
- Be patient with yourself. It does not pay to rush any worthy endeavor. This also applies to finding a writing goal.
- Attend writer’s conferences and conventions. This will give you a whole new perspective on writing and what you want to achieve as a writer.
Identify the obstacles in your way
With every endeavor, there is always an obstacle in the way. This is why it is important that you know the challenges between you and your goal. Knowing what they are will help you to prepare and adjust to them once you get started.
State your goals and act on them!
Once you have formally internalized your goals and recognized them it is now time to state and act on them. As a self-published writer, you should formulate a plan on how to achieve your goals. These plans could come in any form and must be totally dedicated to you achieving your goals. But most important of all is the fact that you are honest with yourself about your goals and your conviction to achieving them. This way no matter how hard your goal is, you will still have the strength of will to try until you finally achieve them.